Why UI/UX Research & Planning Separates the Good from the Great
A company’s website is the primary source of information and customer service for many consumers. A sophisticated yet easy-to-use site is essential to commercial success, but company leaders may not be giving their website the attention it deserves. Website technology is becoming more sophisticated every day, so every company needs to understand the elements of the website development process.
Making the most of a website means embracing advanced user interface (UI) and user experience (UX) technology and implementing it. Without UI/UX design planning, companies may unwittingly settle for a mediocre site instead of creating an outstanding, consumer-friendly web destination.
Consumers expect to have an enjoyable experience when they search a website. In fact, user experience is one of the key factors in attracting and retaining consumers. UX development aims to improve the experience of users whenever they interact with a specific application or website.
UX design planning involves wireframing, the process of creating a layout of the website to visually demonstrate content and navigation early in the process. These layouts are usually created with software, but they can also be hand-drawn. Either way, they’re a blueprint that allows all interested parties to see how the website will look and work.
In contrast, user interface focuses on the appearance and interactivity of the website and a company’s mobile application. The visual aspect of a website is essential to consumer use. A cluttered, outdated-looking site will immediately turn off users, who may well abandon ship and seek a friendlier web offering from a competitor.
Every visual element of a page counts, including each screen, page, and button. A website must invite users to interact, and then deliver a smooth, informative experience.
Benefits of UX Design Planning and Strategy
The benefits of extensive UX design planning and strategy are clear. When a company’s leadership continually prioritizes customer experience, they improve sales of their products and/or services. This process requires anticipating consumer needs so they have a frictionless experience as they move toward their goal. A good design will increase customer interaction by suggesting next steps, providing newsletter registration, and creating call-to-action buttons or forms for their use.
A great UX design will deliver the following benefits:
- Improve eCommerce Sales: Strong UX principles will encourage users to complete their purchases and not abandon their carts. In fact, the right UX design will raise conversions and sales figures by as much as 400%
- Minimize Bounce Rate: A customer-friendly website design maximizes user retention. When customers reach a carefully designed landing page, they are much more likely to stick around and not bounce away onto a competitor’s site.
- Lower Customer Service Expenses: When a website provides great UX, most customers will not need to contact the company via calls, emails, chats, or other communication methods. Instead, they can easily find the answers they need by navigating the site. As a result, management saves significantly on labor costs.
- Improve Google Ranking: Google evaluates mobile-friendly design and page load speeds as part of their ranking process. To maintain a high ranking, companies must use solid UX strategies.
Benefits of UI Design Planning and Strategy
UI design planning and strategy are only part of successful website design. UI best practices must be prioritized if a business wants to attract and retain users and reap the benefits:
- Strong Brand Identity: UI includes choosing the right colors, typography, and other visual design elements to convey a company’s identity. When done well, customers understand the company’s mission and values.
- Higher Conversion Rates: When a webpage is attractive and easy to understand, it encourages people to convert instead of just browsing. They are more likely to purchase a product or reach out for more information.
- Improved Customer Retention: Excellent UI practices also mean users are more likely to be repeat customers instead of “one and done” visitors. A great UI design can create a strong subconscious emotional reaction that draws users back to the website again and again.
UI/UX design is a major part of any successful company’s marketing plan. Many organizations have mediocre websites that are functional but do nothing to attract clients and improve sales. A company can do well with a so-so website, depending on other factors, but in this technological age, it can’t succeed without a great one. Focusing on an exceptional UI/UX design strategy is a necessity.