How to Advertise on Social Media: Strategies and Guidelines
Social media advertising has evolved from being a niche market for small businesses to an essential platform for reaching a vast and diverse audience. With over 200 million Americans on social media and more than two billion users globally, businesses of all sizes and industries cannot afford to overlook this potent advertising channel. In 2023, Meta is poised to earn a staggering 58.5% of its $121.90 billion global advertising revenue through social media advertising, with Facebook leading the way.
As social media advertising becomes increasingly competitive, it’s vital to employ effective strategies to stand out in the crowd and achieve your marketing goals.
Social Media Advertising Strategies
- Create Original Content: Don’t rely solely on reposting existing content and hoping for attention. Craft unique content specifically tailored for your target audience on social media. Recognize that different platforms have distinct audiences and formats; adapt your content accordingly.
- Maintain Your Profiles: Keep your social media profiles up-to-date and visually appealing. High-resolution profile pictures, well-optimized cover photos, and consistent branding across platforms contribute to a professional image. Ensure that any business information, such as website links, phone numbers, and addresses, is accurate and current.
- Embrace Video Content: Video is a powerful medium on social media, and its popularity is on the rise. Create engaging video content that resonates with your audience. Quality and relevance matter more than length, so focus on producing content that aligns with your followers’ interests. Ensure videos are accessible, including subtitles or clear graphics, as many users watch videos in sound-sensitive environments.
- Native Video Hosting: When sharing videos, consider uploading them directly to the platform, rather than relying on external links. Natively hosted videos tend to have 62% better engagement, which can significantly impact your reach and visibility.
Guidelines for Social Advertising
- Boost High-Performing Content: Contrary to the misconception of boosting underperforming posts, focus on promoting content that already resonates with your audience. Boosting successful posts can amplify their impact and reach a broader audience.
- Promote Events in Advance: Whether you’re organizing physical gatherings, sales, promotions, or online events, promote them early. Waiting for organic word-of-mouth can be inefficient. Taking the initiative to create buzz around your events is essential for success.
- Invest in Promotion: After creating new content, don’t skimp on promotion. Hubspot recommends spending ten times more on promoting content than you did on its creation. Share it across your website, social accounts, emails, and other relevant platforms to maximize its reach.
- A/B Testing: Experiment with A/B testing by sending different versions of social posts or emails with slight variations to identify what works best. Test different elements, such as wording, graphics, links, and topics, and use the results to refine your strategies.
In conclusion, the key to effective social media advertising is to create content that is visually appealing, engaging, informative, and, most importantly, relevant. Relevance is crucial in a landscape flooded with content, as it promotes organic engagement and boosts your page’s authority. The sheer magnitude of social media’s user base, coupled with the staggering advertising revenues predicted for the likes of Meta in the coming years, underscores the significance of this digital landscape.